Thursday 27 March 2008

Love in the time of influenza

It all started so well. Little Dark One arrives with the Cat in the Bag, then everyone gets stuffed into the car.

"Wales, Mossie. Powys. Home"

We let the Cat out of the Bag groan and we look settled to be in. There. Excellent.

It's very cold but we have a good excuse to cuddle up. Then we drive to the place where we collect the Tall One. This is so good. The Lady who is also Family comes for food. Can this be any better?

When they come back from the house with dead people in the garden, MBNAD woman is really cold and there's nothing I can do to warm her up. I said no good would come from going in houses with dead people in the garden but they wouldn't listen. Way before bedtime she mumbles,

"Night night Mossie, Night night Bella, Night night Humbug".

Next day she takes me for my morning walk and then goes back to bed. But it's not night night time. The Litter look after her as best they can. I spend my time looking at her over the edge of the bed. The Cat meanders in to check if she's still breathing.


"Night night Mossie, Night night Bella, Night night Humbug".

Off to visit Bolshie Brucie's family. Bolshie's children are nice and I especially like his woman. She makes a fuss of me. Bolshie has his own Jacob, but it's called Sheepie. I had a sheepie, announces the Princess. But it wasn't brown. It was Princess coloured. Of course, it was. She washed it after I didn't need it any more and she's put it in a box under the roof. Anyway, I snuck onto Bolshie's Sheepie and made like I was asleep. Bolshie lay alongside and looked worried.

Then we took the Tall One to get the car on rails and we went back to the Cat. She accused me of losing him.

MBNAD woman is still sleeping too much.

"Night night Mossie, Night night Bella, Night night Humbug".

The Little Dark one has been trying to persuade me that the sick that they serve up at breakfast is really nice. It's not sick, insists the voice. It's nice.


She puts a bowl down for me to have another go. Nice sick is as good as I think it's likely to be.






Then we took the Little Dark one to the car on rails. Now it's just me and the Cat to look after her. And me, says HRH, crossly.


"Night night Mossie, Night night Bella, Night night Humbug".

No comments: