Saturday 27 October 2007

Terra Nova

Friday 26th October
Waking up in my new home. Couldn't believe that it wasn't a dream. MBNAD woman makes breakfast for me and has stopped weeping. I feel it's only temporary. Despite her soggy tendencies, I think that she is worth cultivating. Extremely susceptible to the head on knee technique.
Out for the same walk as yesterday. Doesn't she know anywhere else to go? We get back to that bridge again and I veer off sharply right. MBNAD gets the message. That was HER walk not mine. We'll go my way round the pond, thank you.
More jacket potato. Limited walking and cooking repertoire.
Later, in the car. How far this time? Settling down for a sleep, we're there before I know it. I recognise this kind of place. Smells of frightened animals. I have only been a couple of times to these kind of places and the last time I lost the crown jewels. What can they be expecting to remove this time. I lie down, protecting what's left.
I might have to revise the view that she's not actually dangerous. Quite small really, but strong enough to pick me up and shove me through the door.
Two warders at the desk. No other dogs but 2 cats in cages.
"Mossie Miller" - a man beckons us towards a small room. He looks in my eyes, my ears, my mouth, prods my belly. Remarks on my recent sad loss. I sit down just in case there's anything worse in store. "C'mon old boy - let's pop you on the scales". Definitely revising the view now. I think that maybe I am being sized up for eating. 21kg. Is that with or without stuffing?
"Don't look so sad - come look me in the eye, you've no need to look submissive now". If you were going to be making a guest appearance on the table on Christmas Day, how cheerful would you look?
They have a really fascinating 5 minutes on fleas, worms and ticks.
Outside, back with the warders, MBNAD woman waits for something that will deal with all of the above. The warders all talk about the white dog but look at me in a kindly way.
More cats in cages and one very small puppy. They'll never get that big enough for Christmas.
Home for dinner - she says I deserve a treat for being a good boy.
At bedtime, she says "Night night Mossie, night night Bella" but doesn't cry, much.

Saturday 27th

Today she says she's going to try leaving me for a short time. I try to sleep but I don't know what a short time means. When she gets back, I'll try a little bark to remind her that I don't much like this being on my own.
Then it's in the car again and off we go to get another dog. Perhaps she wants a choice of eating.

Not a dog. A person.
Short, even shorter than MBNAD woman. But she smells of the house, the house smells of her. Long thick mane - she must take a lot of grooming. Well, it will keep the woman busy. This short person is very keen on hugging me. Warm and cuddly, though.
I teach her a trick. If she gives me a treat, I will hold out my paw. Quick learner.



Out for dinner - should I dress? The small one washes and the woman grooms her. And I am right: all that dark hair does take a lot of brushing.

Where we go for dinner there's a cat. It has very bad language.

Home (is this home? how long for?) and bedtime.

"Night night Mossie, night night Katherine, night night Bella". She doesn't cry tonight.

1 comment:

MBNAD woman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.