Sunday 6 January 2008

As good as it gets

More washing and bedmaking and then off to meet someone else who's coming to stay. On the way we go to the Dead Deer and Big Bird shop. Can't wait to see what she gets this time. Big lump of dead cow! She's very inventive on the dead animal front but in my opinion it would taste just as good put in front of you without all those vegetables and herbs. I put my nose in the basket just to get a good sniff but she hauls my nose out. "Not for you Mossie". But dreaming is good. Yes it is, says the voice, but small amounts of thieving are even better. Let me tell you about the day I stole a bagel.



You just have to learn what you can get away with, she says. Legs of lamb, not good so I suspect that the lump of dead cow might be a little bit difficult, she advises. Little and often, maybe.

We go to the place to meet the big car that runs on its own tracks. Perhaps it's the Tall One. Yes, yes... no. This is another lady, small and gentle who I think may be a good bet on the stroking front.

And she is. I can get her to spend ages stroking my ears. Till my eyes glaze over and I am asleep standing up. And we go out in the car and they are very impressed by the big bad birds again and scenery. Personally, I just don't get it. Mountains, trees, rivers, sky. Gets them all of an oooh. To me, it's just quiet or noisy scenery and wet or dry scenery. Preference is for quiet and dry.

Back to sit in front of the fire, ears stroked by soft kind hands.
How good is this.

No comments: