Monday 18 February 2008

From the Edge of the World to the Land of the Pixies

Off in the car for quite a long journey, but not as far as There. I know this place, yes, oh yes, squealed the voice as the MBNAD woman drove onto a narrow road, I used to own all this. We came here so many times and I used to play in the water and, on one excellent visit, she cooked sausages and I got one. It was a bit gritty and I don’t think she meant me to have it but she didn’t seem to want it back after so I got to keep it. My special place. When I got to be old (which is before I became young again), I used to come here in my dreams. This is one of the best places ever.



With that kind of build up, I was expecting something pretty spectacular but it was just odd, really odd. I have learnt a lot of stuff since moving in with MBNAD woman like wall-strings and Here-and-There and Woo Hoo Christmas but I wasn’t prepared for this. This was the Edge of the World. It’s covered in fine, grey-brown like earth but not the same. It felt gritty between my toes. But that wasn’t the worst bit – it ended in water. Not just a washing bowl of the stuff but lots of it. All the edge of the world is wet. Some other dogs were running in and out but I’ll have to pong a lot more before you get me in there. If you go into the water, you might fall off the Edge of the World.

MBNAD woman forgot to take the play ball so I kept having to borrow other people’s. We walked in the wind till it was nearly Mossie the Kite. And I don’t mean the big bad bird sort. It’s alright for people in hats and sheep coats but I was getting blown away and I didn’t want to be blown off the Edge of the World. The Old White Dog was skittering about, running in and out of the water, pausing only to drink it. Bleeuuch… It’s alright for her, she won’t be sick. Never was then, said the voice. Only fruit cake and a very large bar of chocolate. On reflection, the chocolate was still worth stealing.

Eventually, we came away from the Edge of the World and went to a pub where there was a lovely fire. The sort you can put your tail in front of till it starts to singe. And they read the papers and had dinner. I got some left over fish, potatoes and vegetables so I suppose it made going to the Edge of the World worthwhile.

“Night night Mossie, Night night Bella”.

Another car journey but still not There. A really big place, bigger even than where the Little Dark One lives. She knocks on the door of a strange house and I begin to wonder what she’s up to now. After yesterday, who can tell? It’s where the Tall One lives. Off in the car to a nice pub. One of the really great things about MBNAD woman is that she never eats all the food on her plate in pubs and I get the bits she doesn’t eat. Roast beef. Grand. I lick my tongue all the way round my face, right to the edges to show her how much I liked it.

We walked along the edge of some water. Like a river but straighter and more even with lots of funny things like cars floating on it. They’re called narrow boats, says the voice. We went sailing on a narrow boat once, me and MBNAD woman and the Litter. You can run all through the middle of the boat and watch the ducks and people.

There was a very small dog, all fluffy, young and very silly. Called Tottie. And she’ll grow up to be beautiful Tottie and all I’ll be able to do is dream. Pah.


The Tall One tells her all about what he’s working on. Pixies. Maps for Hot Pixies. And how reliable are Hot Pixies. I could tell you about leprechauns but not sure about pixies. And why are they hot? Can you have them for tea? Didn’t have hot pixies, but they did have something called crumpets.
Toasted.

Buttered

I looked very sad.

They gave in.

Delicious.


Then she hugged the Tall One and off we went. I’ll stay with him for a little bit, says the voice.

“Night night Mossie, Night night Bella”.

No comments: