Friday 29 February 2008

Whistle down the wind

There, but we didn't have to wait till the end of the week to get There. Middle of the week, she arrived back from work early and started filling up the car quickly and we were gone. Lots of cars on the road and she kept speaking to them in cat. When we got to the place where she stops to buy bread and meat to eat on the way, I got myself perched in the looking-over-her shoulder-in-a-meaningfully-hungry way but no bread and meat and back on the road with no hanging about, looking at her time-checker and little talk-box. She calls someone on the talk-box and says that we're still on schedule. Conclude that we're on the run from the Law and we need to Get Over the Border before they Catch Up with Us. It's probably something to do with her being a witch.

Over the Throw Money at It Bridge. "Wales, Mossie". Perhaps there are different laws about witches in Wales and that's why we're in such a hurry. Then she stops at a pub. Not one of our favourite pubs, in fact, not one we've been to before. I get myself ready to hop out of the car on account of her not eating everything on her plate in pubs but it's "No, Mossie, I'll be back in a minute". Humph.

Red-and-Gold woman. She fetched Red-and-Gold woman out of the pub. Perhaps that's where she lives. Don't be daft, says the voice. She lives with the Tall Man who keeps chocolate biscuits by his bed. I know, I ahem, acquired, them once. They don't live in a pub. They live by a big river and have peasants in their garden. They leave biscuits on the lawn for the peasants. I acquired them too. Biscuits, that is. Not the peasants. Though they're nice with roast potatoes.

Back on the road, we've outrun the law. "Powys, Home" she says in that happy way that she does when we're There.

"Night night, Mossie. Night night Bella".

She takes Red-and-Gold woman to see the big bad birds having their dinner. I stay well out of it as they take their cameras and special glasses. Bruce says that the special glasses are called buynose but I think that he may be having a laugh at the expense of my poor old scarred snout.




For tea, MBNAD woman buys a pie that she says is made by people called Kate and Sidney. She puts down the metal tray it came in for me to lick clean. Kate and Sidney are grand pie makers. My only problem is the metal tray. It slides all over the kitchen. And she laughs that witchy laugh. And Red-and-Gold woman joins in. Then the old white dog tells me that the U way to lick dishes clean is to hold them down with one paw and then you can lick the paw clean afterwards.

"Night night, Mossie. Night night Bella".

A blowy day so we go to the Market where she gets meat and cheese and the outside of a sheep. I have a really good look to see where the innards have gone, but no, it's just the outside. Must have been a big fluffy one when it had innards. Apparently, it was called Jacob. Well, I'm called Mossie but just don't think about taking out my stuffing.



We go out on the hills in the rain. Not soft, warm rain, but cold, sharp rain. It's blowy and this sharp rain gets round my tail and blows me along. Red-and-Gold woman says I look like an out of control supermarket trolley.

Visitors, so she does dead deer dinner. There's the Lady who comes to visit who seems to be related to MBNAD woman and another Lady from the same litter. But she says that she comes all the way from the other side of the world. So I guess that being witches is in the family. They all make a fuss of me. Love, fuss and one of Kate and Sidney's pies. Heaven.

"Night night, Mossie. Night night Bella".

When it's cold they wear hand coverings. I used to have a coat, says the Princess. In fact, I had two. One was a bit naff but the other one kept me dry. I only got them when I got old 'cos I used to get cold. But I didn't have anything to keep my paws warm. Well, when we were out walking in the sharp rain, their clothes got really wet. I got wet too, but a good shake sorted that out. By the morning, everything was dry except Red-and-Gold woman's hand coverings. So she put them in a small wall-string-box called a popty ping. When they came out they were smoking and she put them in the bin. Dunno why she had to cook them first.

Up and out to see a garden. Don't know why they have to go so far to see a garden when there's a perfectly good one out the back. Apparently, it's not a garden, it's a Garden. I wasn't allowed in on account of peeing on plants.

After the Garden, they have outside food. Outside food is called pignicking. I don't think that they stole it, but I ate up the spare evidence, just in case.



They went to cultural soup in the evening. They went with the Lady who lives next door. I stayed home and shouted.

"Night night, Mossie. Night night Bella".

In the morning, they went to look at lambs, then off to the house with dead people in the garden. I stayed home and shouted.

In the car, take Red-and-Gold Woman to just over the English border where she leaves to go back to the Tall Man. Then MBNAD woman turns Here back to There again.

I was a bit tired in the evening on account of the shouting.

"Night night, Mossie. Night night Bella".

No comments: