Tuesday 12 February 2008

Hiraeth

A There weekend. I know what to expect now but I still made sure that I sat in the driving seat in the car once she started filling it with bags and baskets. We had a short discussion, which I lost, on where I should really sit. Then on the way, stopping for bread and meat while she listens to the car music. We don’t really stop again, although we slow down just after we pass the sign that tells us we’re in Wales. When she slows down, she throws money at a box and then we’re allowed to enter Wales properly. It’s free to get out again, says the voice.

“Wales, Powys, Mossie, Home”. Well, it makes her happy.

The morning starts bright and foggy. The sort of bright and foggy that means it’s going to be a warm day. We walk round the village, look at the garden and chat to the Lady Next Door. She wants to show MBNAD woman her washing room since the builder has been recently. Off they go upstairs leaving me and The Dog with Leanings and the Cat with No Teeth downstairs. Cat made some rude remarks about us being a nice pair of boys and curled up to sleep. I stood by the front door waiting to leave. I didn’t start it but there he was poking that pointy nose in my earhole. I told him that I’m just not that sort of a boy but not quite in those words.



Off in the car to meet Eddie Stickmaker who has made her a walking stick. My stick, says the voice. A beautiful stick. A stick of wonder. Me. Immortalised in a stick. It’s all about Me. See, it’s got my sad, princess eyes. Me. A Bella stick. A Princess stick. The other worldly Super Model is prancing about, showing off.

Can you see how beautiful it is? She tells me that I could have a stick too. No thanks, not yet. But if you wanted a stick, I'll bet that Eddie would make one for you. You probably don't even have to be, you know, not quite here any more.




MBNAD woman drives to the top of the mountain and looks out at the view, stroking the top of the stick. Wet eyes and nose for a bit. I gave her a big hug and we looked at the view together. Me, her and the Old White Dog.



Then she looks at the sky and says “Yes” in a meaningful way and starts messing about with some straps and then I’m chained to the car. Am I holding the car down, or is it holding me down? I settle down for a little rest when she starts to play with the buttons at the front of the car. The last time she did that, the top came off and disappeared and she stuck a chair in next to me. I sit patiently waiting for furniture when she starts to drive off. Nose in the wind, I can smell all sorts rushing past. Good isn’t it, says the voice. ‘Spose so.

At the Farmers’ Market, she bought something for lunch called a Scotch Egg. Clearly, the Scots have different kinds of chicken to the ones I’m used to. Eggs are alright as long as you don’t eat the shells but I didn’t mind eating this shell. That maybe explains what came next.

More watching men running around chasing a ball. Same men in red but this time the others were in blue. 30-15, 30-15. “Woo hoo. Mossie.” I think that we may have an international incident in early March. Best you apply for naturalisation, says the voice. That sounds like I might lose something else but as far as I can see, there’s nothing left to go. I’ll just keep my head down.

She went off to the Tanners without me. I shouted a bit. Alright, more than a bit. When she came back it was bed time. I humphed at her so she carried my bed upstairs and I glared at her till one of us went to sleep.

“Night night Mossie. Night night Bella”

In the morning it was colder and brighter with lots of frost. After the walk, I expected her to go off to the building with dead people but we went in the car to the mountain where we walked for ages looking for the big bad birds that she likes so much. She’s not very good at seeing without glasses and she has new extra glasses to look at the big birds. Seemed very pleased with these new extra glasses. “Oh Mossie , they are wonderful”. You wouldn’t say that if they took you home for tea.



She had food looking out towards the mountains and I slept in the sunshine.

And then we went back again. But she really didn’t want to go. I wouldn’t mind staying There all the time either. As long as I can go to the Tanners. Me too, says the voice.

“Night night Mossie. Night night Bella”

1 comment:

bruces blog said...

buynose Mossie for looking at Kites in the sky they are called buynose.